The chances are that if you are in the process of applying for an apprenticeship or have secured yourself an interview, this could well be your first experience of an interview situation. The thought of sitting alone in a room, opposite a stranger talking about how great you are may seem strange at first… well actually, yes it is strange – but it’s nothing you can’t handle!
This article provides some tips for every stage of the interview process to help you feel confident and prepared for the big day!
Prior to interview:
• Thoroughly research the company and the apprenticeship you are applying for. Employers want to know you are interested in their company.
• Find common interview questions and practice your answers.
• Wear appropriate business attire. See how to dress for your interview.
On the day:
• Aim to arrive at least 10 minutes early on the day as it shows good time-management and that you are eager. If something happens and you may be delayed, phone the office as soon as possible.
• Bring all requested paperwork with you. This could be your identification, CV and cover letter.
• From the moment you enter the building, be polite to everyone you meet as it is respectful and you never know who they are – it could be the interviewer.
During the interview:
• Maintain good eye contact during the interview.
• Be enthusiastic about the apprenticeship and the company.
Be positive about past experiences. If you show that you are able to take something negative, learn from it and turn it into a positive, you will be sure to impress the employer!
• Talk about your talents and achievements.
• Give detailed answers to questions, providing examples as often as possible. Don’t be afraid to ask them to repeat a question, they understand that you might be nervous.
• Mention any research you’ve done about the company, position, and industry with examples or educated questions.
• Ask questions about the job, company, or industry as it shows that you are interested. It would be a good idea to prepare a few before the interview.
• Close by indicating that you want the job and asking about next steps.
If you have not yet secured an interview, check out www.apprenticekent.com to browse our latest apprentice opportunities. You should also look out for the dates of our upcoming ‘Meet an Employer’ events which give you the opportunity to meet industry professionals and attend mock interviews.